Lng Liquified Natural Gas (LLNG) is a compound gas formed from methane gas by the chemical reaction between argon and water. This natural gas makes it rather impractical as a fuel because it is highly flammable. In fact, it is about five times more flammable than regular air. It can only be combusted in an oxygen-free environment at temperatures above approximately 1700 degree Fahrenheit. There are two major uses for Lng Liquified Natural Gas (LLNG) in comparison with other fossil fuels:
– Heating and refrigeration. Most homes rely on electricity to heat their homes and the Lng liquefied gas can reduce the cost per gallon of heating by a large percent. It also reduces the cost per gallon of refrigeration by a large percent as well. It has about one-fourth the carbon content of crude oil, which makes it a greener fuel. It burns cleaner than petroleum diesel.
– Transportation. The Lng liquefied natural gases are nontoxic, and it is commonly used for transportation purposes. It is nontoxic when it is stored in the buildings and even nontoxic when it is transported to other places.
– Cooling. The Lng liquified gas can cool air by entrapping it within its molecules. This cooling effect can reduce the temperature of the hot gas by more than forty percent compared to standard ambient room temperatures. This feature makes Lng liquefied-gases a good choice for applications requiring air-conditioning at very low temperatures, such as for industrial applications.
– Greenhouse Gas Emissions. Because Lng is nontoxic, it reduces the greenhouse gas emissions from energy production. According to the Energy Information Agency, Lng liquefied-gas accounts for 20 percent of the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions caused by liquefaction in traditional gasification technologies. This makes Lng one of the most cost-effective choices for energy reduction, especially in areas prone to global warming. It also contributes to protecting the environment by reducing the amount of methane gas released during gasification.
– Transport and storage. Because Lng is liquefied, it is readily transferred from its original source to its destination. Unlike petroleum diesel or other types of non-liquefied gases, Lng can be pumped into an existing ventilator or storage tank. Also, because Lng does not undergo a chemical reaction during processing, it is safe for storage in conventional tanks or other facilities.
– Alternative Fuel Resources. Because Lng liquefied-natural-gas is nontoxic, it has become a popular choice as an alternative fuel source. Lng can replace crude oil as an energy supplement because it is a cleaner burning gas. It is also better than gasoline when it comes to storing energy during thermal combustion. This makes Lng the best fuel substitute for power plants that burn petroleum diesel because the noncombustible nature of Lng prevents contamination.
Although Lng is still considered to be in its early stages as a viable alternative to petroleum diesel and other types of fossil fuels, there are many pros to using Lng as an energy source. It can be stored economically; it burns cleaner; and it contributes to the protection of the environment. Let’s clean burning properties make it the perfect candidate to replace petroleum diesel in many applications. In addition, it is cheaper than most fossil fuels and does not contribute to air pollution. As more commercial, industrial and residential clients realize the benefits of Lng as an alternative fuel source, the price will gradually fall.
Unlike petroleum-based diesel, Lng liquefied natural gas produces lesser amounts of hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide, making it a safer fuel. Propane, natural gas, and pendants are some of the hydrocarbons produced by Lng during compression. A Lng liquefied natural gas plant releases less carbon dioxide and nitrogen oxides into the atmosphere than a diesel engine. The emissions of Lng are considered to be clean burning and do not produce ozone or particulates that contribute to the destruction of the ozone layer.
When it comes to protecting the environment, Lng proves to be a winner. Lng does not contribute to global warming because it burns cleaner than conventional diesel and petroleum. The natural gas used for combustion is a safe, reliable source of electricity. There is no increase in the demand for natural gas because it can be easily obtained from the natural gas grid. It is cost efficient, especially in rural areas where there is no centralized grid to provide electrical power. Also, unlike other fossil fuels, Lng does not deplete the environment’s natural resources.
Although most of the disadvantages of Lng liquefied natural gas are not yet resolved, the advantages seem to outweigh its disadvantages. With continued research, it is expected that the technology will further enhance the use of Lng as an alternative fuel for conventional vehicles. As more countries discover how valuable and beneficial Lng is, it is expected to replace petroleum as the alternative fuel source in the near future.